Monday, September 28, 2009

The Corporate Move

So.....as the Executive, you are doing great in your job! You are maximizing assets and minimizing problems. You are a superstar! Now, for doing such a great job, you get rewarded by the company...

(dramatic music, please....)

The Corporate Move!

So, most of us have been there: offered, accepted or declined. Statistics show that 60% of corporate moves are being declined due to 'family issues'. Oh my. That could prove to be a list! (and funny, I've known couples that moved DUE to family issues!)

Regardless, it is real, it is difficult, and it has recently been brought to my attention to address it.

First we must ask, are you the person delivering the news or hearing it for the first time?

My point today is: regardless, be ready to sit down with paper and pen, make a list of the pros and cons, gets the facts, make the plan, and then make the ADULT decision. So what does that mean? Just as I said, 2 adults making the decision, not the children getting a vote.

Now why would I say that 'cold' statement? Because, in all my 21 years as an educator, and my continuing education as a parent, it is a matter of the couple making the decision, and then 'selling' the positives to the children (after research and being quite prepared) for their new adventure.

Let me ask you this question: Who is more adaptable? Adults or children? Children, of course.

So, when your time comes to either pitch the corporate move or hear it, know that it is truly a decision that is made considering your children (and I know there are special circumstances), but knowing the facts, and then moving forward as a team....

ExecuMate: The power of 2!